Not really, but I love the Boss and this really is a post about running :)
I have never been a fan of running. Ever. I am pretty sure that running is something people do when being chased. And only then! So then how did I get sucked into participating in an annual run???
In May 2010, some of the girls from the Lab were all "blah, blah, blah, we're doing the Heart Run." Then one of them said "hey, I'm just back from maternity leave & need to get back into shape. why don't you torture yourself with me & we can run really slow together. it's only 3.1 miles" or something to the effect anyway. I said "what the hey; I'll give it a shot. if nothing else, I can just walk it." So I did and I ended up running the whole thing. OK, well "running" might be a slight exaggeration of what I did, maybe it was more like jogging. Anyhoo, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, so when the girls said "join us for the Run for Women & support breast cancer research!" I did. Holy crap, did I ever. This 5 mile run was more of a solo effort - I completely surprised myself by finishing in one hour. Even more surprising was the feeling when I was done; it was rather empowering (at least it was after my legs stopped feeling like Jello).
Last year, I birthed the Moose on March 31, and ran the Run for Women in June. Not only did I run the whole thing, I beat my previous time by 5 minutes! Also, in February of last year, I found out that one of my aunts actually had breast cancer AND kicked it's ugly butt! So when I ran last year, even more empowering than the run itself, was running in her honor. Talk about some amazing feelings, man.
I just got the Save the Date email for the 2012 run, it'll be June 9th this year. I didn't do the Heart Run last year (that would have been a bit excessive). So I think I'm going to shoot for walking with the kid at the Heart Run and maybe attempting the Run for Women again. Now accepting donations of resolve ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment