I have sewn 7 of 8 triangles for my next block and my sewing machine has gone on the fritz! I have been using the same spool of thread for all of my projects (not quite yet fancy enough to change it out yet), but it ran out 2 nights ago. I put a new spool on & made a matching bobbin, but now it won't properly sew anything! HELP! It's feeding like there's way too much slack (ginormous loops on the bobbin side) - I have adjusted both tensions to every possible combination & it just isn't working right :( I flipped the spool & bobbin, I tried a different spool (the first one was a thinner Guterman one, the second a Clarks one that's shorter & fatter).
Arg!!!!!!!!!! Banging my head against the keyboard. I need to hook up with some sewing peeps here... they've got to be out there somewhere, right?
Oh no! It is definitely fixable though, just figuring it out is the thing. first thought, when you are threading the machine, make sure your foot is up. If it is down it won't thread right and that can really mess things up. You might need a new needle, but I don't think it would make it act to that extreme. Is the bobbin winding in the right direction? If none of those work I would try googling it and you can probably find something to help.
ReplyDeleteMy first thought was that you didn't wind the bobbin in the right direction. I used to have a Singer machine with a drop in bobbin, and I often had results like this. Finally figured out my bobbin thread wasn't on the spool correctly.
ReplyDeleteYou might also make sure you dust out place where you insert your bobbin. Sometimes my machine will do weird things with the stitches if there is too much dust or a broken piece of thread stuck in there. Hope you figure it out! BTW, I'm your Covert Robin!
I have to update this post now - it may have been the bobbin... it's working now so whatever the real cause was is a mystery. I will blow some air into that spot though - thanks for the tip!
DeleteIt's lovely to meet you! I just checked my email & got your details :)